April 24, 2014
Continuing from 5 Things You Should Do after Motor Vehicle Accidents (Part 1), here, we will continue to discuss the handful of steps that all motorists should take – when they are physically able to – after traffic collisions. By following these steps, people involved in motor vehicle accidents can help gather evidence that may be crucial to protecting their rights to compensation for their injuries, property damage and other losses.
After contacting police, as discussed in the first part of this blog, drivers should then:
- Exchange information with other motorists – While waiting for police to arrive and/or finish their on-scene investigation, make sure you collect identifying and contact info from other drivers involved in the wreck. In addition to getting drivers’ names and phone numbers, also write down their insurance information (including their carrier(s), policy number and vehicle info).
At this point, it’s also a good idea to:
- Record the names and phone numbers of any witnesses to the collision (if there are any).
- Request an official police report from the officers at the scene (this can take a few weeks to become available but can be an important record of the events that occurred).
- Email the info you have collected to yourself so you have an electronic record of it (that way, you don’t lose this information if you lose the paper it’s written on).
- Take pictures of the damage – Photos of the damage caused by the accident can be critical pieces of evidence when you are later trying obtain compensation from insurers.
Whether you use a disposable camera, a cellphone camera or any other device to take these pictures, be sure to capture photos of the damage to your vehicle, damage to other vehicles involved in the accident and damage to any fixed objects (like, for example, nearby signs or signals) that may have been hit in the collision. It’s also a good idea to take pictures of any visible injuries that you or your passengers may have sustained.
Look for the final part of this blog for a discussion regarding the last two steps that people should take to protect their rights to compensation after motor vehicle accidents.
Denver Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers at Cristiano Law, LLC
If you have been injured in a traffic accident, the Denver motor vehicle accident attorneys at Cristiano Law, LLC are ready to put their experience and resources to work for you. For more than 33 years, our dedicated and trusted lawyers have been upholding the belief that the practice of law is a helping profession. As a result, they have been firmly committed to providing people who have been hurt by the careless, indifferent or deceitful actions of others the highest quality of legal services.
When you choose the superior legal representation offered by the attorneys at Cristiano Law, LLC, you will be able to trust that your case is being handled with the respect and care it deserves, that it will not be passed off to inexperienced associates and that you will have the best chances of getting both the justice and compensation you deserve.
We Welcome You to an Initial Consult
To set up a meeting with one of our attorneys, call us at (303) 407-1777 or email us using the form on this page.
Evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience, and our attorneys can commute to your city or town to meet you to ensure that you get the legal help you need wherever you may need it.