September 12, 2014
Nursing home abuse can manifest in various ways, subjecting the residents of these facilities to physical, emotional, psychological and/or sexual abuse. While this thought is likely distressing in itself (especially if your loved one is currently residing in a nursing home in the U.S.), what may be more shocking and upsetting are the facts that:
- About 1 in 10 nursing home residents in the U.S. will be the victims of some type of nursing home abuse while staying in these facilities.
- Only about 7 percent of all incidents of nursing home abuse in the U.S. ever come to light and get reported to the proper authorities.
Tragically, these are not the only jaw-dropping statistics and facts pertaining to nursing home abuse in the U.S. In this blog series, we will point out some more related statistics to give you a better picture of the prevalence of nursing home abuse in the U.S. When you suspect that your elderly loved one in a nursing home has been the subject of any type of abuse or neglect in a nursing home, let a Denver nursing home attorney at Cristiano Law, LLC help you.
A Look at Nursing Home Abuse in the U.S.
The nursing home abuse statistics disclosed in this blog series have been compiled and published by various reliable sources, only some of which include:
- The National Center on Elder Abuse (a sector of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- The Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Weill Cornell Medical Center of Cornell University.
As Elderly Population Grows, Nursing Home Abuse in U.S. Expected to Increase
- Over the next 4 decades, the elderly population is expected to nearly triple, as the Baby Boomers reach their senior years.
- More specifically, by 2050, 1 out of every 5 people in the U.S. will be at least 65 years old, and there will be about 19 million people in the U.S. who are at least 85 years old.
- Given that many nursing homes are already understaffed, the projected growth of the elderly population in the U.S. is projected to compound the incidence of nursing home abuse and neglect in the U.S.
We will continue pointing out some more important statistics and facts about nursing home abuse in the U.S. in a few more upcoming parts of this blog series – be sure to check them out!
Denver Nursing Home Attorney at Cristiano Law, LLC
Do you suspect that your loved one has been victimized by nursing home abuse? If so, a Denver nursing home attorney at Cristiano Law, LLC is here for you.
We welcome people to learn more about their rights and options by attending an initial consult with a Denver nursing home abuse lawyer at Cristiano Law, LLC. In most cases, these initial consultations are free, and we can get a case started at no cost to our clients. To set up a meeting with one of our attorneys, call us at (303) 407-1777 or email us using the form on this page.
Evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience, and our attorneys can commute to your city or town to meet you to ensure that you get the legal help you need wherever you may need it.