April 18, 2014
A motor vehicle accident takes place on a U.S. roadway once every 10 or so seconds, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). This means that, for many drivers, they will get into at least one traffic collision every five or so years.
While drivers may think that they know what to do after motor vehicle accidents, it’s likely that they will forget some important steps if:
- They haven’t been a traffic accident before;
- It’s been a while since their last collision; and/or
- They are emotionally distraught because, for instance, one of their loved ones has been injured in the accident.
Below and in a forthcoming second part of this blog, we will highlight the five important steps that motorists should remember to follow after motor vehicle accidents. By remembering and following these steps, people involved in traffic collisions can effectively preserve their rights to compensation.
After motor vehicle accidents, the first things you should do are to:
- Check for injuries and call police – Immediately after the wreck, see if anyone in your vehicle (or any of the other involved vehicles) has been severely injured, and then call police. When reporting the accident to the authorities, inform them of how many people have been seriously injured so they can dispatch sufficient emergency responders to administer life-saving medical care.
Once police have been called, stay at the scene of the accident until they arrive and have given you the clear to leave. If you leave before police arrive and permit you to go, you run the risk of being charged with a hit-and-run, which could result in serious criminal penalties (and other significant problems – like losing some or all of your compensation from insurers).
Look for the second part of this blog for a continued discussion regarding what to do after traffic accidents in order to protect your rights to compensation.
Denver Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers at Cristiano Law, LLC
If you have been injured in a traffic accident, the Denver motor vehicle accident attorneys at Cristiano Law, LLC are ready to put their experience and resources to work for you. For more than 33 years, our dedicated and trusted lawyers have been upholding the belief that the practice of law is a helping profession.
As a result, they have been firmly committed to providing people who have been hurt by the careless, indifferent or deceitful actions of others with:
- Aggressive legal representation both inside and outside of the courtroom
- The highest quality of legal services
- Assurance that they will work tirelessly to help injured people secure the best possible outcomes to their important legal matters.
Contact Us Today
We welcome people who think they may have a case or who would like to learn more about their rights and options to attend an initial consult with one of our Denver motor vehicle accident lawyers. In most cases, these initial consultations are free, and we can get a case started at no cost to our clients. To set up a meeting with one of our attorneys, call us at (303) 407-1777 or email us using the form on this page.
Evening and weekend appointments are available for your convenience, and our attorneys can commute to your city or town to meet you to ensure that you get the legal help you need wherever you may need it.